THE RAMBLINGS OF A FRENCH CANADIAN WARGAMER

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Colonial Militia

And now, for the enemy...

My first "British" forces, in the form of Colonial militia. The figures are from the Perrys this time, as Conquest does not produce Militia types. Actually, these guys are from the AWI range, but the differences (slight difference in the tricorne, cuffs and such) are subtle enough for me not to care. I like the figs, reason enough. These guys will especially be used to represent settlers, farmers and the likes in various scenarios.

While the animation of the figures is superb, I was a little disappointed by the lack of details on the faces. Made worse by a couple of unfortunate casting lines on faces (grrrrr). Nevertheless very good sculpts.

I have to admit these are not my best work. I fast painted them, 16 in one go in less than a week which is very, very fast for me. I also tried to use the new GW washes instead of the army painter, as a test. Man I miss the old washes...I'm coming back to AP for the rest of my project. Anyways the important part; 16 more figures for my project.









I'll post pics of the other 8 figures in a couple of days.

7 comments:

  1. They certainly look good to me. Looking forward to the rest. :-)

    If you miss the old GW washes as I do, you might find something helpful from one of my earlier posts:

    http://derfeldmarschall.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-i-survived-gw-paintocalypse-of-2012.html

    I hope that helps a bit.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I will have to try these AP washes. Less money in GW pockets...the old washes really were fantastic products. Shame.

      And thanks!

      Delete
  2. Nice looking. Do you just use metal or also plastic? My collection is a mixture of metals and plastic. I have all of the French metropolitian troops which served in Canada painted, plus milice, Compaigne Frances, Cannonier-Bombardier and Amerindians

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. All my FIW figures are metals, almost exclusively Conquest with some Perrys.

      What plastics do you use?

      Delete
  3. The new washes are a little different then the old ones. I find the AP works better as it contracts as it dries, and this is the big plus about it. I am playing with the AP washes now, but still not the same as their dip.

    But still very nice figures.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I'm getting used to the AP anyways and will keep using it for this project.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! THe lights are beautiful on those wonderful figs!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete